While you can apply account credits to new invoices, you can also apply credits when recording payments. For example, if the parent overpaid by $75 last time and knowingly pays $75 less this time, you can apply the existing credit when recording the current payment.
Apply Credits When Recording Payments
- From the menu to the left, click Accounting.
- Click Invoices. The invoices page opens.
- Click the invoice to pay. The invoice details opens.
- Click at the top of the page. If the parent has a credit balance, it displays at the top of the page under the Balance Due, as shown in the figure below.
- Click to apply the credit to the invoice.
- Click OK at the confirmation prompt. The Credit Balance amount is subtracted from the Balance Due, and the amount remaining populates the Amount box, as shown below. Make sure that this amount is the actual amount the parent paid. If it is not, click the Amount box and enter the correct amount paid. You should always record the actual amount the parent pays you.
- Finish recording the payment as you normally would.
- Click Record Payment. The invoice is moved to a Paid status.