The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has demonstrated how incredibly connected the world has become and how “in-it-together” we all are. KidKare by Minute Menu wants to affirm our commitment to continue supporting our valued customers and lead with transparency during this ever-changing situation.
The USDA Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) has issued several waivers to help child care providers and sponsors during this time. This article is meant to be informative and does not supersede sponsor guidance. Please follow all guidance provided by your sponsor.
Check Your Messages
Your sponsor may send messages to you through KidKare as the COVID-19 situation develops.
To view these messages:
- Log in to KidKare. If you have messages, a notification displays over the envelope icon over the menu to the left, as shown in the figure below.
- Click to view your messages. You can also click Messages from the menu to the left.
Meal Pattern Flexibility
On March 25, 2020, the USDA Food and Nutrition Service issued a nationwide waiver to allow meal pattern flexibility in child nutrition programs. You can read the full text of the waiver here. Your sponsor will provide guidance on how they wish you to record meals for the duration of this waiver. This could be one or a combination of the following:
- Record incomplete meals with comments.
- Use sponsor-provided placeholder meal items for missing meal components, such as milk.
Should your state or local government close schools, add school out days to the Child Calendar.
To do so:
- From the menu to the left, click Food Program.
- Click Calendar.
- Click Child.
- Select a child.
- Drag the No School event from the Draggable Options to the right and drop it on the calendar.
- Click the event. The Event Details open.
- Use the From and To boxes and set a date range for the closure.
- Clear the meals that would have been served while school is in-session.
- Click OK.
Meal Pickup Waiver
On March 25, 2020, the USDA Food and Nutrition Service issued a nationwide waiver to allow parents to pick up meals for their children from childcare sites. You can read the full text of the waiver here. Note that this waiver may not apply to your state. Your sponsor should inform you whether you are eligible for this waiver and how to apply it.
- FNS's Program Guidance on Human Pandemic Response
- Child Nutrition Program State by Sate COVID-19 Waivers
- Child Nutrition Program Nationwide Waivers: Questions & Answers (FNS)
- Assistance for Small Businesses (US Treasury)
- Tom Copeland - Dealing with the Financial Side of the Coronavirus (Webinar)
- Coronavirus Emergency Loans Small Business Guide & Checklist (US Chamber of Commerce)
- Coronavirus Small Business Guides (US Chamber of Commerce)
- Coronavirus Relief Options (US Small Business Administration)
- Small Business Grant Program (Facebook)
- The Ultimate COVID-19 Resource and Communication Toolkit (The Childcare Success Company)
- COVID-19 Resources & Policy Considerations (The Hunt Institute)
- PPP Loan Forgiveness Application Guidance (Forbes)